Quinoa is such a versatile ingredient, we often have it as a side dish or use it in veggie burgers. This weekend when we were preparing our weekly shopping list I decided to do a spin off of stuffed peppers, replacing the meat with quinoa and beans. It was very tasty and easy to make.
2-4 bell peppers
1/2 cup quinoa, prepared per package instructions
1/2 tbsp olive oil
1 cup onion, chopped
1/2 cup carrot, chopped
1 cup frozen spinach (defrosted)
1 can black beans
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp paprika (we like smoked paprika)
1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
1/3 cup broth or water
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup cheese
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Wash bell peppers, remove the top and seeds.
2. Heat oil in a medium skillet, add onions and carrots. Sauté for 3 minutes or until onions and carrots are tender.
3. Add spinach, beans, spices, broth, and prepared quinoa to the skilled. Mix together and let cook for two minutes.
4. Fill each pepper up halfway, sprinkle half of the cheese on top of filling. Top cheese with more quinoa mix until pepper is full. Top with remaining cheese.
5. If you have leftover mixture like we did you can spread it around the peppers and top with cheese. (It will make a great side dish!)
6. Bake for 30 minutes or until the peppers are cooked.
What quinoa recipes do you like to make?