Whenever I think of chocolate cake I always remember Bill Cosby’s chocolate cake act where he feeds the kids cake for breakfast. My dad always does a good impression, it is something he would have let us get away with as children. While looking for easy semi healthy desert ideas I came across a chocolate cake recipe from King Arthur Flour. It is so easy you only need one bowl and a whisk (along with a few measuring cups and spoons).
1 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup cocoa
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon espresso powder (I omit this using coffee as the liquid, see below)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon vinegar
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup of water, milk, or coffee (I think the coffee makes it the best)
1. Preheat your oven to 350°.
2. Whisk together all of the dry ingredients into an 8in or 9 in round pan. Make three indentations (one should be larger than the other two).
3. Pour the vanilla and the vinegar in the smaller indentations and pour the oil in the largest. Pour the cup of liquid over everything in the pan. Whisk together until combined. (We have made this with milk and coffee, the coffee gives the cake a richer mocha taste which we preferred).
4. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until set.
5. Let cool. You can ice the cake, serve it with powered sugar on top, with ice cream, chocolate sauce, the options are endless!
I also found a great lower calorie chocolate chip cookie recipe yesterday, we find you can always have sweets as long as it is in moderation! What kind of deserts do you like to make?